Welcome to the AHIMA Engage Communities website. Please take a few minutes to review the following statements containing important legal information, privacy policies, and other terms and conditions of use of this site. Thank you for your cooperation.
Summary of Important Legal Information
This policy governs your conduct while using this website. If you do not accept and abide by this policy, do not use any of the services provided on the website. By entering and using the website, you acknowledge that you have read and understood the terms and conditions and that you agree to abide by them. AHIMA reserves the right to revise this Policy at any time at its sole discretion by updating this posting. You are advised to visit this page periodically to review the policy because it is binding on you.
Accuracy of Information
The materials on this Web site have been prepared for informational and educational purposes only. AHIMA has made every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information presented on the websites. However, AHIMA does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, or timeliness of information posted by AHIMA or provided by members on AHIMA's websites, and therefore makes no representation or warranty regarding the same.
AHIMA does not guarantee, warrant, recommend, or endorse any services, tests, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned or advertised on the website. Reliance on any information, products, or services appearing on the website at the invitation of AHIMA or other visitors or contributors to the website is solely at your own risk.
Information Presented by Users and Third Parties
Any content and/or opinions uploaded or submitted by an individual, including all materials, articles, hyperlinks, documents, spreadsheets, presentations, images, individual user profiles, comments, opinions, or other dialogue, any other content or opinions in any form and responses to questions (hereinafter “User-Posted Content”) , other than such content provided by AHIMA, are solely the opinions and responsibility of the person or entity submitting them and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of AHIMA. AHIMA makes no representation or warranty regarding User-Posted Content that is posted or uploaded by users of the website or other third parties, and AHIMA expressly disclaims any and all liability related thereto. By using the website, you agree to hold AHIMA harmless from any and all claims arising out of User-Posted Content. Reliance on any information, products, or services appearing on the website, whether provided by third parties at the invitation of AHIMA or visitors or contributors to the website is solely at your own risk. You understand and acknowledge that you are responsible for whatever content you submit, and you, not AHIMA, have full responsibility for such content, including its legality, reliability, and appropriateness. By uploading or otherwise transmitting material to any area of the website, you warrant that the material is your own, or otherwise free of proprietary or other restrictions and that you have the right to use it. You grant to AHIMA the right to use all content you upload or otherwise transmit to the website in any manner AHIMA chooses, including but not limited to copying, displaying, or publishing it in any format whatsoever, and modifying it, or making a derivative work based on it.
Liability of AHIMA and its Licensors
The website and information provided on the website is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis, with all faults. Neither AHIMA nor any person associated with AHIMA makes any warranty or representation with respect to the quality, accuracy, or availability of the website. Specifically, but without limiting the foregoing, neither AHIMA nor anyone associated with AHIMA warrants or represents that the website or the information provided on the website will be accurate, reliable, error-free, uninterrupted; that defects will be corrected; that the website or the servers that make them available are free from viruses or other harmful components; or that the website will otherwise meet your needs or expectations. AHIMA disclaims all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including any warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement. In no event will AHIMA or its contractors be liable for any damages of any kind, under any legal theory, arising out of or in connection with your use of, or inability to use, the website, including any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or punitive damages, including, but not limited to, lost profits or damages resulting from delay, interruption in service, viruses, deletion of files or electronic communications, or errors, omissions, or other inaccuracies in the website or the content transmitted on the website or personal injury, whether or not there is negligence by AHIMA and whether or not users have been advised of the possibility of any such damages.
Advertising and Promotional Activity
Advertisements, organization and/or corporate logos are to be displayed in designated areas only, such as banner ads and classified ads. Advertising includes messages containing qualitative or comparative product or service language, price information, or other indications of savings or value; endorsements; inducements to purchase, sell, or use the products or services and invitations to participate in trials, market research or other activities that are announced using promotional language. A person, organization or corporate affiliation may appear in items for purposes of disclosure and/or authorship. Advertising, solicitations, and job postings must be posted in appropriate places (classified ads, job board, etc.). References to products and services of AHIMA and the Component State Associations (CSAs) may be included on the site. Items that may be included are meeting announcements, continuing education opportunities and products the CSAs have developed. Information should be included in the announcement or event area of the community.
It is inappropriate to use this site to conduct polls or solicit comments regarding a particular product, service, or company. Solicitation for focus group or product trial participants may only include request for participation.
Copyright and Trademark Notices
The contents of all material available on this website are copyrighted by AHIMA or used by AHIMA under license or other legal authority. AHIMA and its licensors retain all copyrights and other proprietary rights in or relating to any content, including any software, provided on the website. All rights are reserved and such content may not be reproduced, downloaded, modified, published, displayed, disseminated, or transferred, in any form or by any means, except with the prior written agreement of AHIMA or as indicated as follows: You may download and print a small number of copies of the content for scientific or educational uses. You may not sell, transfer, reproduce, transmit, distribute, perform, or display such content for any commercial purpose without the prior express written consent of AHIMA.
American Health Information Management Association and AHIMA are registered service marks of AHIMA. Copyrighted content shared from other sites must indicate that it is posted with permission or will be assumed the member’s original work.
Member and User Obligations
You agree to comply in all respects with these terms and conditions as they may be amended, updated, or revised from time to time. Your failure to comply with the provisions of copyright and trademark restrictions and member obligations may expose you to civil and/or criminal liability.
- Collection of Personal Information. AHIMA may ask for information about our users at the point of registration. Such information may include name, age, education level, gender, e-mail address, zip code, and areas of interest. This information tells us about the types of people (e.g., providers vs. patients, members vs. nonmembers) who use the website, allows us to verify a user’s identity and helps us tailor the website to our audience.
- Use of Personally Identifiable Information. AHIMA will not sell or otherwise transfer or disclose personally identifiable information to third parties without the user's prior consent except as may be required by federal, state, or local law, or by exigent circumstances. That means that AHIMA will not disclose your name, e-mail address, street address or phone number without your consent. We may use your personally identifiable information to compile and display content and information that we think you might be interested in. AHIMA also may use your profile information on an aggregate basis -- without personal identifiers -- to develop and display new features and content for the website, and to provide others with aggregate information about our users and the usage patterns of the website. AHIMA also may perform statistical analyses of user behavior (on an aggregate basis) in order to measure interest in and use of the various areas of the Site.
- Use of Personally Identifiable Information in the Member Directory and Expertise/Laboratory Databases. The AHIMA website also provides member profile and contact data such as name, address, telephone number, city, state, job title, and workplace to other members through the AHIMA online directory. Users of the website agree to use directory and database information for individual, personal, and confidential reference purposes only and agree not to use the directory or databases, in whole or in part, for mailing lists, solicitations, fundraising, or commercial purposes. Users of the website further understand and agree that their names and contact information may be posted on this site in a membership database for access by members only. Such users agree to hold AHIMA harmless from any and all claims arising out of or relating to the publication or display of their names and/or contact information.
- Retention of User Information. It is not possible for a user to delete his or her profile from our database, nor is it feasible to delete all traces of a user's activity in the system. Messages posted to bulletin boards are examples of user activities that are not feasible to delete.
- Voluntary Disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information on Bulletin Boards, News Groups and Chat Rooms, and other Interactive Areas (collectively "Interactive Areas"). Users should be aware that when they voluntarily disclose personally identifiable information (for example, user name, e-mail address) on an Interactive Area of the website, that information, along with any substantive information disclosed in the user's communication, can be collected and correlated and used by third parties and may result in unsolicited messages from third parties. Such activities are beyond the control of AHIMA and AHIMA is not responsible for the discoverability of any user’s identity by methods beyond our control.
- Password Protected Areas. AHIMA does not warrant or represent that the information you submit to the website will be protected against loss, misuse, or alteration by third parties. You are responsible for taking all steps to ensure that no other person has access to your password or account. It is your sole responsibility to (1) control the dissemination and use of your password; (2) authorize, monitor, and control access to and use of your password; and (3) promptly inform AHIMA of any need to deactivate your user name or password. You permit AHIMA and all other persons or entities involved in the operation of the website to transmit, monitor, retrieve, store and use your information in connection with the operation of website. AHIMA does not and cannot assume any responsibility or liability for any information submitted by you to the website or for your or third parties’ use or misuse of information transmitted or received through the website.
- Security of Information. AHIMA is committed to keeping user information secure, and uses industry standard technology in an attempt to achieve that goal.
- Release of Information to Comply with Legal Requirements or Government Request. AHIMA reserves the right at all times to disclose any information uploaded to or appearing on the website to the extent necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process, subpoena or governmental request.
- Removal of Information and Termination of Usage. AHIMA reserves the right, but does not assume any responsibility, to (1) remove from the website any material posted by you which AHIMA, in its sole discretion, deems inconsistent with these Terms and Conditions; and/or (2) terminate your access to all or part of the website. However, AHIMA can neither review all material prior to transmission on the website nor ensure prompt action with respect to objectionable material after it is transmitted on the Site. Accordingly, AHIMA assumes no liability for any action or inaction regarding transmissions, communications, or other content that is provided by third parties. AHIMA reserves the right to take any action it deems necessary to protect the personal safety of users of the website and the public; however, AHIMA has no liability or responsibility to anyone for performance or nonperformance of the activities in this paragraph.
- Parental Permission. AHIMA does not intend that children will use the website. Some of the information available on the website may not be appropriate for children. USERS UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE MUST OBTAIN PARENTAL PERMISSION TO USE THE SITE. Adults should not assist unauthorized children to access the website. AHIMA will not knowingly collect, use, or disclose personally identifiable information about visitors under 18 years of age.
Links to Other Sites and Advertising
THE SITE ALSO MAY CONTAIN ADVERTISEMENTS BY THIRD PARTIES. AHIMA MAY RECEIVE ROYALTIES FROM SUCH ADVERTISERS. AHIMA DOES NOT ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, WARRANT, OR RECOMMEND ANY INFORMATION, PRODUCT, OR SERVICE CONTAINED IN ADVERTISEMENTS.
Use of Interactive Areas
AHIMA may provide interactive forums, chat rooms, news groups, bulletin boards and other interactive areas (“Interactive Areas”) on the website. If you use any of the Interactive Areas, you are solely responsible for your own communications and the consequences of posting those communications, and you assume responsibility for such communications, including its legality, reliability, and appropriateness. By posting or otherwise displaying information on the website, you grant to AHIMA the right to display, copy, distribute and publish in any format User-Posted Content you upload or otherwise transmit to the Site. AHIMA does not assume any responsibility for the truthfulness, accuracy or reliability of any material posted on any Interactive Area, or of consequences of any Interactive Area communications on or arising from use of the website. IN CASES WHERE YOU FEEL THREATENED OR BELIEVE SOMEONE ELSE IS IN DANGER, YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY IMMEDIATELY.
In consideration of being allowed to use the Interactive Areas, you agree not to engage in the following activities:
- Using an Interactive Area for any purpose in violation of local, state, national, or international laws;
- Posting material that infringes on the intellectual property rights of others or on the privacy or publicity rights of others;
- Posting material that is unlawful, offensive, obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, hateful, or embarrassing to another user or any other person or entity as determined by AHIMA at its sole discretion;
- Posting material that contains any virus, worm, Trojan horse, or other code which may contaminate, destroy, or interfere with the files or programs of AHIMA or its users;
- Posting advertisements or solicitations of business without prior express written consent from AHIMA in advance of making the posting;
- After receiving a warning, continuing to disrupt the normal flow of dialogue, or post comments that are not related to the topic being discussed (unless it is clear the discussion is free form);
- Posting chain letters or pyramid schemes;
- Impersonating another person;
- Allowing any other person or entity to use your identification to post or view comments;
- Posting the same note more than once (i.e., “spamming"); or
- Posting messages or any other content that may restrain trade or encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers; or any other information that violates federal or state anti-trust or competition laws.
- Engaging in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits any other person from using the Interactive Areas, or which, in the sole judgment of AHIMA, exposes AHIMA or any of its users or Sponsors to any liability or detriment of any type.
AHIMA reserves the right but is not obligated to record the dialogue in public chat rooms. AHIMA does not screen communications in advance and is not responsible for screening or monitoring material posted by users, or any other person or entity. If notified by a user of communication(s) which are alleged not to conform to the terms of this Section, AHIMA may but is not obligated to investigate the allegation and determine in its sole discretion to remove or request the removal of the communication(s). AHIMA reserves the right but is not obligated to remove or edit communications which are abusive, illegal, disruptive, or that otherwise fail to conform with these Conditions. In addition to the removal rights described above, AHIMA reserves the right to terminate a user's access to any or all Interactive Areas at any time, without or without notice, in the exercise of its sole discretion.
AHIMA reserves the right but is not obligated to monitor, edit, or disclose any posting on the Interactive Areas for lack of adherence to the Conditions, if required in the course of normal operation and maintenance of AHIMA, or if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to: (i) comply with the law or comply with legal process served; (ii) protect and defend the rights of AHIMA or others; or (iii) protect the personal safety of our users, Sponsors, or the public.
AHIMA HAS NO LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY TO USERS OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY FOR PERFORMANCE OR NONPERFORMANCE OF THE AFOREMENTIONED SCREENING ACTIVITIES. AHIMA MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS, PROMISES, WARRANTIES, OR UNDERTAKINGS CONTRARY TO THOSE SET FORTH ABOVE.
- State concisely and clearly the specific topic of the comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject. When you find that a message is becoming lengthy, that’s the time to privately e-mail the person.
- Only add a message to the threaded discussion when it contains information from which everyone can benefit.
- Warn of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a line that says "Long Message."
- Include a greeting such as Hi, Hello, Good Morning, Dear John, etc. just as you would in regular conversations. Beginning with your demands or questions without a greeting can seem rude. End your message with Thank you, Sincerely, Take it easy, etc. then sign your name or include an automatic signature.
- When you request information or ask for help, be sure to use please and thank you.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link to the left of every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing e-mail addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new e-mail address. Simply change your settings.
- Spell check messages and proofread them for errors before sending. You want the recipient to focus on the message, not the grammar.
- Read over a message before sending it and ask yourself what your reaction would be if you received it. Keep in mind that it’s difficult to convey the tone of a message without face-to-face communication.
- When posting threads, you should be candid and objective. Remember, that though this is a professional community, members are part of other organizations and associations and this information might be shared. Think about how this information might reflect on you. Also, AHIMA is accountable for the information and if offensive, it will be removed. You are not allowed to endorse products or services.
- Respect each other’s opinions. If you disagree, do so in a civil, professional, respectful manner. Also agree to disagree. Members are from diverse backgrounds and will have differing opinions. This is part of the AHIMA Code of Ethics including Principle IX -Respect the inherent dignity and worth of every person.
MISCELLANEOUS CONDITIONS OF USE
Resolutions and Disputes. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed in all respects by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois, without regard to its conflicts of law principles. These Terms and Conditions, as they may be amended from time to time, completely and exclusively state the agreement between you and AHIMA with respect to the website, and no other terms that may have been communicated to you orally or in any other manner shall have any force or effect. Any cause of action you may have that arises out of or relates to the Site must be commenced within one (1) year after the claim or cause of action arises or such claim or cause of action is barred. Exclusive jurisdiction over any cause of action arising out of or relating to the Site shall be in the state or federal courts located in the Northern District of Illinois. You agree and submit to the jurisdiction of such courts.
If any part of the Terms and Conditions are unenforceable, the unenforceable part shall be construed to reflect, as nearly as possible, the original intentions of the parties. The other provisions of the Terms and Conditions shall remain in full force and effect. AHIMA’s failure to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of the Terms and Conditions shall not constitute a waiver of the provision. Neither a course of dealing or conduct between you and AHIMA nor any trade practices shall be deemed to modify the Terms and Conditions.
BY ENTERING AND USING THE AHIMA SITE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE OF AHIMA, THAT THE PROVISIONS, DISCLOSURES AND DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH ABOVE ARE FAIR AND REASONABLE, AND THAT YOUR AGREEMENT TO FOLLOW AND BE BOUND BY THEM IS VOLUNTARY AND IS NOT THE RESULT OF FRAUD, DURESS OR UNDUE INFLUENCE EXERCISED UPON YOU BY ANY PERSON OR ENTITY.
YOU ALSO AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS AHIMA AND ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, MEMBERS, AGENTS, AFFILIATES, THIRD-PARTY INFORMATION PROVIDERS, LICENSORS, AND OTHERS INVOLVED IN THE DELIVERY OF THE WEBSITE OR THE DELIVERY OF INFORMATION, PRODUCTS OR SERVICES OVER THE WEBSITE, FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL LIABILITIES, EXPENSES, DAMAGES, AND COSTS, INCLUDING REASONABLE ATTORNEY’S FEES, FROM ANY CLAIM, COMPLAINT OR DAMAGE ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY VIOLATION BY YOU OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.