Purpose: Monitor and provide AHIMA with expertise related to clinical documentation integrity (CDI), revenue cycle management and reimbursement, and compliance to support AHIMA’s mission to empower people to impact health. This Practice Council will assist AHIMA in developing educational resources to prepare HIM professionals to improve patient outcomes and reduce provider burden, as well as to serve as an external group of subject matter experts.
Subject Matter Expertise: Coding, Revenue Cycle, reimbursement models, clinical documentation integrity process and workflow, compliance, fraud surveillance
- Identify opportunities, obstacles, and learning needs for HIM professionals to build and lead successful revenue management programs, including CDI, to facilitate the accurate representation of a patient’s clinical status that translates into coded data.
- Provide recommendations on best practice for coded data to be translated into quality reporting, physician report cards, reimbursement, public health data, and disease tracking and trending.
- Identify resources needed for HIM professionals to excel in CDI. Specifically, in documentation requirements, code assignment, coding guidelines, and quality reporting.
- Champion the change from clinical documentation “information” to “integrity”.
- Provide subject matter expertise and insight as needed on federal legislation, regulatory comments and public policy positions that impact health information professionals.